So many things come to my mind when I think of Europe, I have visions of Castles, beautiful scenery, Churches, museums, historical events, period architecture (Medieval, Renaissance and cutting-edge modern), and a wide variety of foods. Every country that I visit seems to have its own distinct variety of food.
It is so difficult to try to describe Europe as a whole because it has so much diversity throughout the continent. I think the best way to look at Europe is to separate it by geographic region. Looking at Europe in smaller regions makes more sense to me. The regions that seems to be more fitting are:
1. British Isles – United Kingdom and Ireland
2. Central Europe – Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungry
3. Eastern Europe – Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, the European part of Russia.
4. Scandinavia – Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark
5. Southeast Europe – Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus and the European part of Turkey
6. Southern Europe – Portugal, Gibraltar, Spain, Andorra, Italy, Malta, San Marino and Vatican City
7. Western Europe – France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and Monaco
Europe is the 6th smallest continent by size but accounts for approximately 25% of the countries of the world. There are 46 countries in Europe and I have been lucky to have visited 11 of them, with more on the itinerary very soon. I have made 10 trips to Europe. Some trips I have visited just one country and other trips I have visited 2 countries. In those trips I have seen many of the most famous sites in the countries that I visited and many places that I didn’t know much about until I visited them.
Europe is full of famous sites to visit. The list below are some of the most famous tourist sites in Europe.
• Roman Colosseum
• Athenian Acropolis and the Parthenon
• St. Peter’s Basilica
• Sistine Chapel
• Louvre Museum
• Canals of Venice
• Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba
• St. Basil’s Cathedral
• St. Mark’s Basilica
• Leaning Tower of Pisa
• Greek Islands
• Eiffel Tower
• British Museum
• Neuschwanstein Castle
• London Eye
• And many others
Although these are the most famous sites in Europe, there are hundreds of places to see that most people have never heard of but are amazing places to experience. I will be posting on my experiences in the famous places in Europe and I will also be sharing my experiences at many places in Europe that I am sure that most people have never heard of but would enjoy seeing if they knew they existed.
I hope that you will enjoy my current post and that you will enjoy my future posts as I present the places in Europe as I have seen them through my eyes and my camera.
This blog is still very new. The countries shown below are only the countries where I have currently made post. I will be adding more posts to these countries but I will also be making posts on other countries in Asia. I will add more countries below when I make posts on a new country.
Countries in Europe